Why are transitions so hard?
Probably because change is hard and transition is about change. One of the best ways to transition a child with special needs from one place to another is to use PART of a favorite object.
I’ve come up with some other ideas that might help you! This item has to be a favorite, of course!
- Empty DVD case (to take to the room where the DVD is)
- Empty colored marker box (markers are in the room)
- Lid from a marker (marker is in the room)
- Paper (used for drawing- markers are back in the room)
- Keys needed to open a drawer or cabinet where favorite object is stored – like an iPad, favorite game etc
- A final sticker or token needed on a token board to earn an edible item
- A special cup to go get water or a drink
- A token or note that the child gives to a staff member who will give them time/attention
- A token or note that the child gives to a caretaker for a special reward at home or after school care program.
10. A token or note that the child gives to a staff member who allows that child to have a choice or control over something.
If transitions are a challenge, then take this challenge and try one or more of these ideas and let me know how it goes!!
Sometimes a significant problem can have a simple solution!